FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — The families of most of those killed and wounded in the 2018 Florida high school massacre announced Monday have reached a multi-million dollar settlement with the federal government over the FBI’s failure to stop the gunman even though it had received information he intended to attack.

Attorneys for 16 of the 17 killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland and some of those wounded said they have reached a monetary settlement with the government over the FBI’s failure to investigate a tip it received about a month before the massacre. The family of 17 chose to not sue.

The attorneys said the settlement’s details are confidential, but a person familiar with the deal said the government will pay the families $127.5 million overall. They were not permitted to disclose the exact amount so they requested anonymity.

“It has been an honor to represent the Parkland families who, through their immeasurable grief, have devoted themselves to making the world a safer place,” their lead attorney, Kristina Infante, said in a statement. “Although no resolution could ever restore what the Parkland families lost, this settlement marks an important step toward justice.”

Andrew Pollack, whose 18-year-old daughter Meadow died in the shooting, commended the FBI for accepting responsibility for its inaction, comparing it to the Broward County school district and sheriff’s office, the school security staff and the psychologists who treated the shooter. They all failed to arrest the shooter, and he believes that they have shied responsibility.

“The FBI has made changes to make sure this never happens again,” Pollack said.

Tony Montalto, whose 14-year-old daughter Gina died, said no settlement will “replace my bright, bubbly and beautiful daughter.” He said that while other families celebrate Thanksgiving this week, Gina’s chair will remain empty.

Montalto, Pollack and Pollack both stated that any money received will not be able to replace their daughters.

Paul David Stern was the principal attorney representing the government. He did not respond to a request for comment immediately.

About five weeks before the Feb. 14, 2018, shooting, an FBI tip line received a call saying a former Stoneman Douglas student, Nikolas Cruz, had bought guns and planned to “slip into a school and start shooting the place up.”

“I know he’s going to explode,” the caller told the FBI.

But that information was never forwarded to the FBI’s South Florida office and Cruz was never contacted. Cruz had previously been expelled from school one year prior and was known for his long-standing behavioral and emotional problems.

Cruz, 23, pleaded guilty last monthTo 17 charges of first-degree killing. Following a penalty trial which is set to begin in January, the defendant will either receive a life sentence or death sentence.

Source: HuffPost.com.

Share Your Comment Below

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here