NEW YORK (AP) — A former “Apprentice” contestant who accused former President Donald TrumpFriday, the victim of sexual assault agreed to drop her lawsuit for defamation against him.
Summer Zervos brought suit against the president of New York in 2017. She claimed that he made things up to ruin her reputation.
Friday’s filing said the case was dismissed and discontinued with prejudice, meaning Zervos could not file the same claim in state court in the future. Each party will be responsible for their costs, according to the filing.
Zervos accused Trump in 2007 of kissing her and touching her without her consent. This was during Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign. He refuted the allegations.
Zervos’ attorneys, Beth Wilkinson and Moira Penza, said in statements that “after five years, Ms. Zervos no longer wishes to litigate against the defendant and has secured the right to speak freely about her experience.”
“Zervos stands by the allegations in her complaint and has accepted no compensation,” they said.
Trump’s lawyer, Alina Habba, called Zervos’ decision to drop the case “prudent.”
“She had no choice but to do so as the facts unearthed in this matter made it abundantly clear that our client did nothing wrong,” Habba’s statement said.
“It is so sad when things like this can happen, but so incredibly important to fight for the truth and justice. Only victory can restore one’s reputation!” Trump said in his own statement.
Habba asked for permission from the court last month to file a counterclaim against Zervos. Complete depositions were completed by both sides on December 23rd.
Unless someone comes forward, the Associated Press does not usually identify anyone who claims they have been sexually assaulted. Zervos is one example.