An ex-Vice President Mike Penceis trying stop publication of photos of him that were taken January 6th by supporters of the former President Donald TrumpThe U.S. Capitol was stormed in an attempt to block certification for the 2020 presidential election.
“He was in a loading dock in an underground parking garage beneath the Capitol Complex,” Karl said. “No place to sit. No desk, no chairs, no nothing. He was in this concrete parking garage.”
One photo of Pence responding from a tweet Donald TrumpAt the height of the siege, he was attacked.
“You can see, it kind of looks like Pence is grimacing,” Karl said. “But you can never really tell.”
Karl asked Pence if he could publish the pictures ― which were taken by the official White House photographer as part of his taxpayer-funded job ― but Pence blocked their release.
“I have a suspicion that the Jan. 6 committee is going to want to see the photos,” Karl said.
“Those aren’t his photos,” Colbert added.
“No, they’re your photos. They’re everybody’s photos here,” Karl replied, gesturing to Colbert and the audience.
“We paid for those photos,” Colbert added.
Check out more of their conversations below.
Trump and his allies including the former-Chapman University professor of law John Eastman, tried pressure on Pence to block pro forma certification for the Electoral College ballots, a power Pence does not possess.
They continued to harass Pence throughout the violence. Trump slammed him via Twitter as Eastman messaged Pence’s chief counsel at the time, Greg Jacob, while they were hiding.
“The ‘siege’ is because YOU and your boss did not do what was necessary to allow this to be aired in a public way so that the American people can see for themselves what happened,” Eastman reportedly wrote to Jacob, referring to Trump’s debunked voter fraud claims.
During the siege, Pence remained at the Capitol. After the building had been cleared by rioters Pence and Congress completed the certification of electoral votes. This affirms President Donald Trump. Joe Biden’s victory.