Prince Harry has said he warned Twitter’s CEO before the US Capitol attack that his social media platform was being used to stage a coup.
The Duke of Sussex was speaking at Wired’s RE:WIRED 2021 conference on a panel discussing misinformation and said the problem pre-dated social media.
He stated that he had warned Twitter CEOs Jack Dorsey the social media giant was “allowing a coup to be staged” a day before the January 6 riots.
When asked if he had spoken to him, he replied: FacebookHarry claimed that he had warned Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Twitter and Twitter CEO Dorsey about a coup at the site’s eve.
He said: “Jack and I were emailing each other prior to January 6 when I warned him his platform was allowing a coup to be staged. This email was sent the previous day. And then it happened and I haven’t heard from him since.”
An assortment of Donald TrumpOver claims of a rigged presidential election, supporters marched on Washington DC’s Capitol Building. Social media giants are being probed for their role in this attack.
Harry was named as Archewell’s co-founder at the RE.WIRED summit. He works for the Aspen Institute, a think tank, and studies misinformation and disinformation within the media.
The 37-year-old, who lives in Southern California with Meghan and the couple’s two children, said the internet is “being defined by hate, division and lies.”
“That can’t be right,” he told the panel. “Especially for anyone who has children, we’re allowing this future to be defined by the very here and now. This is exactly what greed, profit, and growth are.
“I would hope as human beings, as individuals with the ability of choice and decision-making they would worry more about people now, the safety of people but also what this means for the internet, a free internet but also what it means for the next generation and the generation after that and that and that and that.”
Harry invoked his mother’s memory when he addressed the British media with his most recent broadside. Diana, Princess of WalesHe also said that his wife, Duchess Sussex, was getting similar treatment.
He said: “They don’t report the news, they create it and they’ve successfully turned fact-based news into opinion-based gossip with devastating consequences for the country.
“So I know the story all too well. I lost my mother to this self-manufactured rabidness and obviously I’m determined not to lose the mother to my children to the same thing.”
Harry nodded to comments he made in a mental health series he appeared in earlier this year and said “they won’t stop until she’s dead” – a reference to Meghan.
He added: “It was more of a warning, not a challenge.”
Harry said “the scale of misinformation now is terrifying” and warned families are being “destroyed” by the problem.
Harry, when asked whether users should delete social media accounts they have on their profiles, stated that Meghan (and he) are not using any of the platforms. They will not be back until such changes are made.
He said it “simply isn’t true” that the challenge of misinformation “is too big to fix, it’s too big to solve”.
According to the duke, he spoke from personal experience. he and his wife are targeted by a small group of accounts.
He said: “More than 70% of the hate speech about my wife on Twitter could be traced to fewer than 50 accounts.”
Megxit – a word used to described the couple’s departure from royal duties – is a “misogynistic term” that was created by an online troll before it entered mainstream usage, Harry said.